Hello everybody, I have given some thought to the problem with software patents, or actually the whole concept of patents. What I came up with is this; if you have come up with an invetion, software or other patentable thing, and want to share it to the world without having to worry about someone taking the idea/thing and patent it. Then there could be an organisation where you can post your idea and which can patent it with an license/condition towards the public similar to GPL. In effect; by posting the idea to the organisation you would have made it unpatentable public domain, this by using the existing patent system. By this you could contribute to the shared human knowledge/technology.
The obstacles encountered in this approach:
- How would the organisation be able to pay the patent fees?
- Will there be a selection of what to accept and apply for patent
- and if so, how and by who should this selection be made?
- This could be seen as damaging the market economic system as the patent and copyright systems are an important part of it, how should this be dealt with
- and if seen as a threat, there is a possability of it being encounter with great opposition by mighty commersial powers.
If you want to contact me, post a mail to callesilvergranhall[AT]yahoo.co.uk (remember to change the [AT])