I want to let you know that I DO NOT agree with the no software patents policy. I will also sustain that by saying I am a software developer and I hope that someday I will make some software that I will be able to patent and get some money out of it. Now me working like crazy and some other people selling what I created or giving it for free doesn't seem so fair to me. It isn't fair to get tons of money for 20 years in a row while blocking other developers working with a technology also but a fair period of time (maybe 5-7 years) that wil allow you to take some deserved earnings for your work would probably do. While most people sustain this policy because they are thinking at how nice it would be for them to have all sort of technologies for free, they are probably not considering that regular people would not contribute so much because they cannot make anything of their huge time investment. The quality of older technologies would be greatly improved but revolutionary things would probably become more seldom. I for one am not motivated only by the fact that earth will be a better place but more strongly on the fact that it would also be a much better place for me to do a lot more things than I could before because I worked a lot for it and I deserve it. Otherwise what reason would I have to spend so much of my free time in front of a computer in stead of hanging out with my friends more or with my girlfriend or family.
This is just my opinion but I am prepared to fight for it. Work and innovation shoud be encouraged, not laysiness. How could I encourage something like this? Something that lets 99 % of the developers have fun on their own time while having the same advantages of the other 1% which spent most of their time working ?