Bradley Kuhn: Post-Bilski Steps for Anti-Software-Patent Advocates
Forum » Resources / News picks » Bradley Kuhn: Post-Bilski Steps for Anti-Software-Patent Advocates
Started by: ggiedkeggiedke
Date: 06 Jul 2010 16:51
Number of posts: 1
rss icon RSS: New posts
[...] As near as I can tell from what I've learned, the entire “Bilski thing” appears to be a no-op. In short, as before, the Patent Office sometimes can and will deny applications that it determines are only abstract ideas, and the Supreme Court has now confirmed that the Patent Office can reject such an application if the Patent Office "knows an abstract idea when it sees it". Nothing has changed regarding most patents that are granted every day, including those that read on software. Those of us that oppose software patents continue to believe that software algorithms are indeed merely abstract ideas and pure mathematics and shouldn't be patentable subject matter. The governmental powers still seems to disagree with us [...] Looking forward, my largest concern [...] is that the “patent reform” crowd, who claim to be the allies of the anti-software-patent folks, will use this decision to declare that "the system works". [...]
New Post