News picks
Forum » Resources / News picks
Number of threads: 2543
Number of posts: 2604
rss icon RSS: New threads | New posts
Articles from other sources; copy title, first paragraph, and put URL in body of post.
Order by: Last post date
Thread starting date
Create a new thread
page 1 of 128123...127128next »
Thread name Started Posts Recent post
Linux vendorRed Hat [...] wants to improve the US patent system so that it and other firms can challenge poor quality software patents. The company joined a host of others in the industry in sending an amicus brief to the US Supreme Court. In the brief the firms explain that the burden of proof required to invalidate bogus software patents holds back innovation and needs changing. The Amicus Brief (pdf) was filed in the case Microsoft v. i4i Limited Partnership [...].
by: ggiedkeggiedke
06 Feb 2011 20:01
Microsoft wants Congress to reform the U.S. patent laws by focusing on five issues that intellectual property stakeholders most want, according to the company's legal counsel. The reform concept was floated today in a blog post by Brad Smith, Microsoft's senior vice president and general counsel, and Horatio Gutierrez, Microsoft's corporate vice president and deputy general counsel. [...] Smith and Gutierrez said that IP stakeholders want five patent reforms, including ensuring that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) gets proper funding, establishing a "first inventor to file" patent-claims basis, "weeding out bad patents," "allowing third parties to submit prior art" in patent review cases and ending litigation concerning false patent marking on products.
06 Feb 2011 19:57
The final standoff in the great patent battle between i4i and Microsoft is heading for a Supreme Court hearing this April. Meanwhile a trio of advocacy groups are reiterating their plea for the Supremes to do the right thing in this case and make it easier to invalidate dubious patents.
06 Feb 2011 19:55
[A] company called VS Technologies is suing Twitter, alleging that it infringes on a patent of theirs, entitled “Method and system for creating an interactive virtual community of famous people”. For real? For real.
27 Jan 2011 11:36
Software patents should be abolished though, and I'm going to show this with an economic analysis. We'll see that even non-obvious and non-trivial software patents should never be granted as they can only cause economic loss.
23 Jan 2011 20:09
I think there are two major classes of threat to freedom [...]. The first is from intellectual monopolies – copyright and patents – or rather, attempts to preserve their power in a world of digital abundance. [...] The latest incarnation of that is the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) – which, despite its misleading name, is as much about stopping online sharing as tackling traditional counterfeit goods. [...] The other threat has been accelerated by Wikileaks, but was not caused by it: the introduction of online censorship by nations that have traditionally prided themselves on their support for free speech. In some ways this is even more dangerous than ACTA, since the latter is bound to fail. [...] Unless people fight back now against these moves [...] I think that things could get very bad here.
11 Jan 2011 12:24
Open sauce groups are frantically buying up patents to prevent being sued by proprietary companies. KDE and The Document Foundation joined the Open Invention Network (OIN) as a licensee following the doomed Novell flogging of its patents. The fear is that Novell has put open source companies at risk by flogging IPs to a company backed by Microsoft, Oracle and Apple.
by: tenoritenori
27 Dec 2010 18:50
Just like in the story-line of Independence Day, where the alien death ships slowly but surely positioned themselves over each major city, with the eventual outcome well understood, so too is Intellectual Ventures (I.V.) slowly positioning itself as the patent overlord over many major industry segments. Just like in the movie, the eventual outcome is well understood. To wit: Complete usurpation of the U.S. Patent system. The outcome is a, gigantic tax/toll collector controlling the pulse of innovation in the U.S. or, like the movie, extermination of innovation. [...] In short, these patents are not worth the paper they are printed on. But, owing to the excessive cost and uncertainty to have a second look at these patents [...] most victims of this licensing extortion racket meekly pay-up. What Myhrvold has wrought is an obscene abuse of the patent system. It should be stopped, either by industry groups banding together to file reexaminations, or by Congress, or both.
21 Dec 2010 12:44
Ten member states have sent an official formal request to Internal Market Commissioner Michel Barnier calling for enhanced cooperation on the creation of an EU patent.
09 Dec 2010 21:21
Blackboard Inc.’s protracted legal fight to retain the software patent it used to successfully sue course-management rival Desire2Learn is over. It lost.
01 Dec 2010 21:06
The U.S. top court has agreed to review a patent infringement case filed against Microsoft by Toronto-based i4i Ltd.
30 Nov 2010 08:22
Summary (and YouTube links) of a debate on software patents in New Zealand: "I argued that software patents stifle innovation. When ideas are copied, extended, built upon - we all benefit. Patents stop this and thus stifle innovation. He argued that patents not necessary to protect industries based on ideas e.g. publishing because copyright does a good job. He pointed to the negative impacts of software patents such as the Android litigation which is stifling competition."
20 Oct 2010 17:55
The European Union is on the cusp of writing public procurement rules which favour patent- and royalty-free technologies, according to software giants who argue that the rules echo Chinese public procurement laws. [The BSA is] worried that the pending European Interoperability Framework (EIF) will give technologies that have open specifications an advantage in public sector bids.
13 Oct 2010 06:07
y
by: RigelnetworksRigelnetworks
12 Oct 2010 09:54
[The leaked] file shows that Jonathan Zuck, president of Association for Competitive Technology (ACT) –an organization with close ties to Microsoft–, and founder of Americans for Technology Leadership, had influenced the change of working documents of the European Union.
08 Oct 2010 17:25
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Wednesday affirmed the validity of TiVo's so-called Time Warp DVR patent, reversing the agency's ruling this summer -- after a second re-examination requested by EchoStar and Dish Network -- that the patent was invalid because some of the claims were covered in two prior patents.
07 Oct 2010 06:53
Motorola has launched the next offensive in an increasingly confusing legal war over mobile patents. The company, through its Motorola Mobility subsidiary, has filed patent infringement complaints against Apple in both Northern Illinois and Southern Florida federal district courts. It has also asked the International Trade Commission to block Apple from importing, marketing, or selling iPhones, iPad, iPod touches, and "some Mac products."
07 Oct 2010 06:51
Apple has been ordered to pay more than $200 million to Mirror Worlds, LLC after having lost a patent infringement case brought by the company. Apple was found to be in violation of Mirror Worlds' "document streaming" patents, which Apple allegedly used in its implementation of Cover Flow and Time Machine.
04 Oct 2010 17:26
Hank Northhaft is the CEO of a patent licensing firm. [...] He [...] has been making the rounds writing opinion pieces for various publications pitching this plan. Unfortunately, each of his opinion pieces seems to rewrite history or misinterpret studies to make his argument.
03 Oct 2010 21:05
Microsoft has announced a lawsuit against Motorola, alleging that several of the mobile company's Android devices infringe on nine of its patents. The software giant is suing in US District Court in Washington, and is also bringing a complaint before the International Trade Commission (ITC). The patents are all related to key smartphone experiences that include syncing e-mails, calendars, and contacts, scheduling meetings, and notifying applications about changes in signal strength and battery power.
02 Oct 2010 12:18
page 1 of 128123...127128next »